Sunday, August 21, 2011

Chugach hikes

Day 10: Crow Creek Pass

Crow Pass
The airplane stayed parked at Merrill for a couple more days as I had ground transport. My wife was arriving this afternoon, and I had been looking for a good day hike to pass the time out of town. This presented a dilemma not unlike going to a good restaurant with a lengthy menu -- too many choices, all that looked good. I settled on a day hike to Crow Creek Pass in Chugach State Park, and I was not dissapointed! This was a relatively straight-forward 8-mile out and back day hike about an hour drive outside Anchorage.

The trail head along Crow Creek lies about 10 miles off the Seward highway, just outside the community of Girdwood. It was my first drive down the Seward highway along the Turnagain Arm of the Cook Inlet, full of gorgeous vistas in itself. Beluga point lived up to its name with countless Beluga wales coming up for a breath of air.

What struck me most about this hike, and seeing the mountains in this region of Alaska up and close was the condensed stratification of climactic zones. The flora just below trailhead elevation was made up of lush temperate rainforest, that quickly gave way to shrubby hillsides. The treeline seemed to be only around 2,000', and the upper bounds of the shrubby vegetation maybe 2,500'...with an alpine mountain pass at 3,200', similar in nature to what I'm used to seeing at 10,000'+ in California. It was as if everything I was used to was compressed. I suppose this continues the further north you go, with timberline eventually approaching sea level as one approaches the arctic tundra.

Approaching timberline
I didn't encounter much in the way of wildlife along the way, but there was a plethora of signs of bear activity in the first mile or so where the trail was lined with dense vegetation. Part of the reason I picked this hike, as I was still alone, was that it was a well-travelled trail and I thought this would reduce my chances of surprising a grizzly should one be in the area.

After reaching timberline the vegetation quickly thinned out, and eventually the ground was carpeted in places with tiny wildflowers and low-lying shrubs with vivid red leaves.

The reward for the hike upon reaching the pass was an up close view of the Raven glacier. I scrambled off trail to one of its morraines to enjoy lunch next to it, occasionally hearing the ice groan as it moved and melted.

Raven Glacier
I've done a fair bit of hiking, and perhaps I'm easily spoiled by the riches of a new environment, but I have to say this was one of the best day hikes I've done, period. The scenery, variations in climate, and rugged beauty just a short drive outside of civilization are amazing. Go take a look, if you're in the area and have the inclination. You won't be disappointed.





No comments:

Post a Comment